How to Get Motivated



Ah, motivation.  That elusive feeling.

When you have it, you feel like you can do anything. 

But it usually doesn't last long.  When it's gone it's so much harder to accomplish things. 

"I just can't get motivated."  So you don't do what you want to do. 

How do you get motivated again?

1. Create the feeling of motivation for yourself.  Your feelings are caused by your thoughts.  Practice thinking thoughts that create the feeling of motivation.  I know this seems obvious, but ask yourself how often you wait around for motivation to come to you.  Stop waiting.  Train your brain to think thoughts that create motivation. 

2. Take action without feeling motivated. Sometimes it's really difficult to direct our brains to motivation in the moment.  I get it.  If you can't quite get to motivation right now, you can create  other feelings will help you take action. I was not feeling motivated to write this blog post.  Instead I deliberately chose thoughts that created the feeling of determination.  "I reeaaallly don't feel like doing this right now, but I have committed to writing one blog post per week no matter what so I'm going to do it anyway." 

Motivation feels really good. When it shows up effortlessly, go ahead and take advantage of it, but don't use "I'm not feeling motivated" as an excuse to not take action.  You can practice cultivating a motivated mindset, but you don't always have to feel motivated to take action. Determination or commitment will do in a pinch.

If you are struggling to feel motivated, schedule a free mini session with me.  I can help you see why you aren't motivated and what to do about it. 




Comments