What is a Thought Modifier and How Can it Help Me?


Thoughts create feelings.

If that's true, why can't we just change our thoughts and feel better?

The thing is, your brain is very good at thinking your thoughts.  It doesn't like change.  Change is effort and the lower brain wants to conserve energy. Your familiar neural pathways have the least resistance.

When you discover that you have a thought that you don't want to keep and isn't serving you, it isn't always as easy as swapping the old thought for a new one.

If you have a belief that you are having a difficult time getting rid of, adding a modifier to the thought can help your brain start to consider other possibilities.

I've never been able to lose weight before
can turn into
I've never been able to lose weight before, but I'm open to the possibility that I can figure it out

My sister is annoying
can turn into
My sister is annoying, and that's ok

I'm lazy
can turn into
I'm thinking the thought, "I'm lazy"

Something is wrong with my kid
can turn into
Something is wrong with my kid, and something is wrong with all of us

My husband is a jerk
can turn into
My husband is a jerk, but there are times when he isn't a jerk

I'm not good with money
can turn into
I'm not good with money yet

I don't want to stop drinking
can turn into
I don't want to stop drinking, but someday I might want to stop drinking

Do you see how adding a modifier to the thought, can start to wiggle it loose a little bit?

Next time you are having a difficult time letting go of a belief, try adding a modifier and see if it changes your perspective just a little bit.

I'm afraid to sign up for a mini session
can turn into
I'm afraid to sign up for a mini session, but I'm going to do it anyway

Seriously, do it.  I'll help you for free with an issue you are having and of course I'll tell you about my coaching program for moms with ADHD kids.  But I only want to help people who want it.  I will never pressure you into something you don't think is a good fit for you.  I just don't operate that way and I hate it when people do that to me.  I want you to give it a shot though because this stuff is seriously life changing. If you are tired of the power struggle with your ADHD kid and just want a more peaceful home, I know how to help you do that.



Comments